CTC Technology & Energy and the New America Foundation jointly published a memorandum providing analysis, strategic guidance, policy concerns, and recommendations with regard to the Broadband Technology Opportunities Program (BTOP) of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA).
The memorandum was released in response to the Notice of Funds Availability (NOFA) issued for the first round of BTOP funding by the National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) on July 1.
The memorandum included:
1. A summary of the latest developments in the BTOP and how they will impact many would-be applicants;
2. Strategic recommendations for activities to undertake to maximize the chances of being funded;
3. Precautionary and protective steps to take during the application preparation process;
4. Discussion of policy concerns about how the BTOP is being implemented and why it does not, in many ways, live up to the promise established by the ARRA; and,
5. Policy recommendations for incremental, strategic changes by NTIA that could improve the program as implemented.